Safety & Health Protocols
Tropical Rivers Rafting Safety Protocol
For the operations of all our services, we follow all recommendations from the Costa Rica Ministry of Health and the Government of Costa Rica regarding health and safety protocols. You can count on us to do our best in serving you.
Our rafting guides are trained to U.S. standards and guidelines – the strictest standards historically for rafting in the world – and are certified by the International Rafting Federation. They have first aid and CPR training and are fully bilingual in Spanish and English. All trip leaders are trained in swift water rescue and advanced first aid.
Every day that we operate a river trip, we follow strict logistical and safety preparations.
- State-of-the-art rafting equipment is inspected daily to be in top condition.
- All equipment given to guests – life jackets (PDFs), helmets, and paddles – is thoroughly checked before and after each use.
- Guests receive a comprehensive rafting safety talk, including paddling basics, at the river before beginning rafting. Once guests are assigned to their specific raft, their raft guide will again review all safety protocols along with paddling instructions. Immediately upon entering the river, they practice those instructions.
- At least one safety kayaker accompanies every rafting trip, without exception. Depending on the number of rafts on a trip, there may be more than one kayaker.
- Tropical Rivers maintains a clear and strict protocol on high water levels and does not hesitate to cancel rafting trips when river water levels are unsafe. Guests staying at our lodge on the Pacuare River have multiple hiking routes to leave if water levels are too high to continue rafting. All guides are trained in evacuation routes along the Pacuare River in case of an emergency.
Tropical Rivers Health Protocol
As a result of the COVID-19 global pandemic, the Costa Rica Ministry of Health has defined sanitary measures for tourism business operations, including facemask usage, social distancing, and disinfection practices. These protocols are continually updated to be able to respond at all times to changing needs and guidelines.
We are fortunate to practice an adventure activity outdoors in the wilderness, which allows us to better serve our guests’ health and safety.
Our company has always maintained high cleaning standards and disinfection protocols. The equipment we use for rafting is in constant contact with water, which requires us to do continual maintenance to ensure that it is always impeccable for our guests’ safety and enjoyment. All equipment for rafting: rafts, lifejackets, paddles, helmets, etc., are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected after each use with biodegradable, antibacterial soap and water. We do not use any type of chemical products on our equipment that could negatively impact our rivers.
All vehicles used to transport tourists and equipment are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected before and after each use. The driver and all passengers in our vehicles must wear facemasks while on board.
The ecolodge’s setting in a private nature reserve has the advantage of open natural spaces, excellent ventilation, and minimal impact by guests. All guest rooms and public areas are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected after each use.